Thursday, October 1, 2009

Spare some change?

Working downtown my first four years here, one becomes accustomed to being "spare changed" - that is, being hit up for spare change by homeless people and street kids. I couldn't take a break from work without encountering downtown Portland's finest. It isn't uncommon to be asked six or seven times in the space of a block or two. I finally had enough and couldn't take it anymore. I barked defiantly at the next unfortunate who "spanged" me: "How about you giving me a quarter instead for a change!" Humbly, sincerely, the kid reached into the few coins he had, and offered me a quarter. Even the homeless are different out here.

1 comment:

  1. When they ask me for spare change....I tell them I left it in my spare wallet at home. LOL

    ReplyDelete